Sunday, January 10, 2010

This Past Weekend in Review 1/9/10-1/10/10

Hey Folks,
Once again another Sunday night is upon us. I'm sure everyone is spending these next few moments getting everything ready for the week ahead. If not I hope regardless you all had a very pleasant weekend, I know I did.

With the company of two fellow Jazz Enthusiasts, I went to the NYC Winter Jazz Festival. The event took place over the course of the weekend at numerous venues in the West Village around the Bleecker Street neighborhood. Such venues as Le Poussian Rouge, The Bitter End, Kenny's Castaways, Sullivan Hall and Zinc Bar were the places to be this past weekend showcasing some of the hippest acts in jazz today.

My favorite part: 2 days of music for $30 and essentially every act was someone on the 'working eschelon' of the current jazz scene. By that I mean, the roster was made up of some of jazz's most talent unknowns, but artists who are in the trenches everyday working hard to get their music heard.

There was music of all kinds in the jazz world available. (most i'm sure a certain Lincoln Center Director would not approve of as "jazz").

Friday night was primarily focused on more 'out' music such as Jamie Saft and Whoopie Pie. A group of Saft on organ with drums and tenor saxophone. I really enjoyed this group alot. The performance was comprised from what I could tell two tunes of droning intense group improvisation. The sax was brash and lyrical while the keys were a mix of what seemed all the jazz school put together. Bluesly triplets were matched with Herbie Hancock-ian atonality. The drums were energetic and unrelentless. I loved this group. Jamie Saft's playing is so broad its quite hard to categorize him. He can be heard on numerous recordings such as playing a jazz vibe on a Masada book of angels album, his Bob Dylan tribute or his most recent release on Tzadik label: a death metal album.

The second night was the money maker. Every 15 minutes in the neighborhood a jazz act was beginning their set and the first set at Kenny's Castaways was by far the most surprising act of the weekend. The group was Oran Etkin and his band. Etkin, a reeds player, played some of the most badass clarinet playing I've ever heard. His altissimo range was so clear and fluid Benny Goodman himself would have been in awe. His band was made up of African Percussionists ranging from djembe to a wooden (home made) marimba and some kind of 'shell-drum'. It looked like a huge salad bowl turned upside down, hit with the fist and tapped with the fingers. I have no idea what this instrument is called but it sounded amazing. What grooves!! I was all smiles and happy feet listening to this group. check out the band at joe's pub: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlpjUR0tC28 Fans of Lionel Loueke and other African music will love this group.

Vijay Iyer Trio was of course outstanding. Probably the most anticipated group, I myself bought his new album just based on the fact that it was on so many reviewers must get lists, was definitely feeling the pressure of the hype they have created for themselves. Unfortunately I had to run half way through the set so I could check the Ambrose Akinmusire Quintet. I haven't listened to too much of Ambrose but really dig his playing on Danny Grissett's new album "Form."

There were so many great acts this festival in retrospect I can't believe it. Usually the festivals I've gone to there are so many terrible acts that clog up a good weekend.

Jazz is not dead....

..it just changed the secret handshake.

No comments:

Post a Comment