Friday, September 24, 2010

The Future!!


Last night I began to compose completely new compositions. I have to admit I am pretty jolly about the idea of writing new material.

After recording my first solo CD with all tunes I wrote over the last 2 years, I realized my writing style was distinctly in a personal style. How could I be happier right? Well realized that the music I wrote was primarily influenced by Mwandishi and Jeremy Pelt's album "Identity." Only one tune had a swing feel to it. Not that anything is wrong with even 8th's I just realized this time around I want to write more "jazz" oriented material and use the other musicians and compositions that have inspired me. However, I do plan on continuing to write material in that grey area between true jazz and the other thing.

Here's a list of albums that I am currently using as a basis of inspiration:
Herbie Hancock Maiden Voyage/Empyrean Isles
Miles Davis Nefertiti/ESP/Seven Steps to Heaven
Joe Henderson In n' Out
Lee Morgan Last Session
Andrew Hill Black Fire
Freddie Hubbard Hub-Tones
Jackie McLean One Step Beyond

Pretty much all Blue Note albums but how can you go wrong with that? Anyway if this all works out I hope by the spring I will have a good number of pieces written and ready and then we'll see some serious shit.




No comments:

Post a Comment